SailNet Community - View Single Post - Wire Halyard Winches
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Yes I know they are crap so I don't need to be told that but the new Womboat has them for the main and genoa halyards. They will be thrown away and replaced but to do that I have to fit a new wire/rope halyard, fabricate and install winch pads on the mast and buy and instal new winches. This is simply not at the top of the to do list.

Thing is the genoa winch slips. No matter how tight you do up the brake it will not hold and I have to re tension the genoa every ten minutes or so. Anyone have any idea as to what is going wrong and is it possible to fix until we get the new winches installed.

Your's Hopefully.
I have wire halyards that are spliced into rope. (sorry for lack of technical speak)... A cheaper fix may be to splice the wire at a point to actually rope rigging. Apparently it has worked on my Barberis (and the first time I have ever seen this)... The brake will not hold because wire is almost impossible to clutch into. And it will not be the issue of your winches - so I suggest doing the hybrid approach unless you intend on replacing the winch and rigging... It would end up being a small fraction of both to do in reality - as your winch is probably not the problem... just the nature of using pure wire....I can post pictures of my set-up if you like...

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook