SailNet Community - View Single Post - First Greek charter, looking for hints...
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2003

Stede is on a distinguished road
First Greek charter, looking for hints...

Req,

I chartered a boat out of Athens a few years back and sailed through part of the Cyclades.We chartered in early June,and still got caught in part of an early Meltemi (it usually starts in July) When it blows, no one goes anywhere. Even the huge ferry boats shut down. Good food and provisions are abundant through most of the islands. Prices are very reasonable.We spent a couple of days on Mykonos.It''s an beautiful island with a jet-set type crowd.There''s a small bake shop about three streets back from the harbor towards the wind mills. They sell an almond cookie that I read in my guide book that Winston Churchill used to have flown in to him.We got hooked on them also.To this day, I occasionally crave them. Also,If you go there, be sure to take the short boat trip over to the small island of Delos to tour all the ruins there.It''s fantastic.As far as Santorini, I would recommend you spend several days there if possible. Words can''t describe what a unique,and beautiful island it is.We rode up the winding trail on the rocky cliff face of the Caldera by donkeys. Homes,restaurants, and stores are built into the cliff face of the Caldera. In the center of the Caldera,you can tour the still active part of the volcano,and swim in a cove where the water is heated by it. It was a blast- no pun intended ;^) To make the trip to Santorini (Thira), we opted to leave our chartered boat in Mykonos and take a short flight to Thira. It''s a pretty long sail from Mykonos to Thira (~100 NM).You can''t anchor around Thira,(way to deep!) and there are only a few moorings - unless that''s changed. If you sail to the island and aren''t fortunate enough to get one, you''re pretty well screwed. Anyway, you could easily make a full vacation out of staying at Thira and love every minute of it. Lastly,if possible, I highly recommend that you save a day of your trip for when you return to Athens. Take the bus trip out to Delphi.The ruins and history there are incredible. It''s also a very beautiful trip through the Greek countryside where olive orchards and marble mountains are the highlights. Good luck with your trip. I envy you!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook