SailNet Community - View Single Post - Improved handling in reverse
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2008
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys, lots of advice to consider here
PBeezer - I am new to this boat, true - but she seems to enjoy testing me occasionally

I did try the short burst of power in reverse to gain speed and then go neutral and steer. The problem with this is having separate gas/shift controls (which in case of reverse go in opposite directions) and fairly slow hydraulic steering. I.e. for something like that I have to (assuming I am already at idle in neutral):
- Gear switch back
- Gas handle forward all the way
- Gas to neutral
- Gear fwd to neutral
- 3 turns of the wheel to port (thats hard over for me)
If this is a switch from the burst forward - add that many more moves to undo it (and 6 turns of wheel lock to lock).

It takes a while to do and it won't get any faster simply because that's how they are set. So, certainly anything that might have reduced the prop walk would be welcome (but that said - it does not seem there is a consensus on props). Actually, now that I wrote this, I wonder if a single handle control would do more for me than a prop

The prop is right handed (marked RH). I do notice that the boat turns counter clockwise (i.e. stern moves to the stbd side), but it seems someone mentioned that it is supposed to be the opposite with right hand prop? Could anyone confirm. I am fairly sure about the counter clockwise thing (I spent a total of a few hours trying reverse and turns in open space since last year, and thats the only thing that seems relatively consistant) but now I wonder if I may be wrong somehow.

For those that gave specific docking advice - I will try each option next, thanks guys!
The docking configuration is - finger slip on the right hand side of slipway, boats on both sides, entrance facing south - south-west. As of yesterday wind was blowing out of the south-southeast.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook