SailNet Community - View Single Post - mainsail roach, battens, weather helm, and mast placement
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by stipakb View Post
The questions I am left with about which I would invite enlightenment are:

1. Will replacing the battenless, roachless mainsail with a full-batten main with roach likely increase weather helm?
Logically it should; you are adding area aft of the current center of effort. However this may be offset with a newer sail that should have a flatter more efficient shape that may in fact contribute a bit more drive and less helm. (though to be honest if this will in fact apply to a full keel boat I'm not sure)

Quote:
2. Are there any good reasons for having no battens and no roach on the mainsail of a cruising boat? None of the reasons I have heard seem very persuasive to me.
No reason I can think of unless it's a furling main (ugh)

Quote:
3. Is a cutter-designed boat, with the mast positioned further aft, inevitably going to have some weather helm when sailed as a sloop.
Others can say better, but I wouldn't expect the staysail to significantly change the C of E of the overall sailplan.

You should look into mast rake as a way to try to alleviate the helm if indeed it's a problem.. a little is a good thing on most boats, but not, I suppose, if you expect it to steer itself on its own.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook