SailNet Community - View Single Post - Wire Halyard Winches
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2008
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by artbyjody View Post
I have wire halyards that are spliced into rope. (sorry for lack of technical speak)... A cheaper fix may be to splice the wire at a point to actually rope rigging. Apparently it has worked on my Barberis (and the first time I have ever seen this)... The brake will not hold because wire is almost impossible to clutch into. And it will not be the issue of your winches - so I suggest doing the hybrid approach unless you intend on replacing the winch and rigging... It would end up being a small fraction of both to do in reality - as your winch is probably not the problem... just the nature of using pure wire....I can post pictures of my set-up if you like...
Slight confusion here . Here is a pic SD.

These things are dinosaurs but were very popular as halyard winches decades ago and in bronze form still do appear oin classic yachts. They do not rely on the wire gripping at all. Wire is attached to the drum mechanically. In reality they work much like a trailor winch. To be frank they are bloody dangerous things. The brakes are known to fail suddenly and catastophically. If you have been silly enough to leave a handle in place they can easily break your leg or arm. Horrid nasty things best consigned to the garbage bin.

Their other flaw is that wire was not meant to be wound up tightly like that and broken halyards are not at all uncommon.

Wire halyard spliced to a rope tail are in all ways better.

However, as I intimated, we have a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng list of to doisms and I'd like to get this thing working albeit temporarily.

Somehow that handle on the side acts as a break on the drum itself. No one has manuals on the things anymore (not even Arco-Aust Winch Co who bought up all Barlow parts when they folded) so I am working blind.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook