SailNet Community - View Single Post - mainsail roach, battens, weather helm, and mast placement
View Single Post
post #3 of Old 04-20-2008
Faster makes a good point about mast rake. Too much rake could induce excessive weather helm. That's something worth checking. But there are a lot of other factors that come into play in the overall design -- it might be worth researching to see if this particular design has a reputation for exessive weather helm. Just tossing out possibilities -- it may have nothing to do with the sails or rig, it could be e.g. that the rudder is not adequately sized.

I have seen mainsails on cruising boats where the (short-handed) owners went to a negative roach and eliminated battens. The idea as explained to me was to deliberately depower the main a bit, to thereby postpone the point when a reef bacame necessary, and to eliminate a source of chafe on the sails for long-distance voyaging. But with the advent of full-batten mainsails systems even for cruising boats, I haven't seen that done much anymore.

Hopefully JeffH or some of the other knowledgeable designers here can offer additional insight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome