SailNet Community - View Single Post - Staying Warm
Thread: Staying Warm
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2008
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Staying Warm

Summer has passed and the mornings are getting colder.. (the down side of being Down Under! )

I'm looking for ways to extend our boating for as long as possible, but staying warm in our little Hartley is proving to be somewhat of a challenge on chilly Melbourne mornings. In a wooden boat, we start out warm enough curled up in sleeping bags, but:

Scenario 1: If I leave the forward hatch and companion-way vents open, the wind picks up and the warm air rushes out. Then at some stage during the night nature's urges wake me up and I need to go topside. Opening the main hatch then lets all remaining heat out of the boat and the fog rolls in. By morning we are damp and cold and the First Mate wants to go home.

Scenario 2: If I leave the forward hatch shut and the companion-way vent open, the boat gets stuffy and condensation runs down the inside of the windows. By morning we are damp and then cold and the First Mate wants to go home.

If the boat was big enough, I'd fit one of those old-fashioned cabin heaters so much talked about on Sailnet - but it ain't!! Someone in the club mentioned putting an upturned flower-pot on the metho stove, but I'm not going to let that run all night unattended. I think this is linked in with the ventilation issues raised here a while back.

My question: How should I close the cabin up at night to ensure we stay warm without it being stuffy? Anyone know of any small (real small) practical cabin heating idea that might help eliminate condensation??

Thanks!

Last edited by Classic30; 04-20-2008 at 09:08 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook