SailNet Community - View Single Post - coleman-stirling fridge/freezer
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2008
Lost

rrgane is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
A few points...

The FPSC system uses HELIUM as a working fluid, not CO2. Helium is a much smaller molecule than the refrigerant used in the Engel refrigerators, and is far more likely to leak out of the closed refrigeration system than the larger coolant molecules are. That's why mylar balloons that are helium filled deflate over time...the helium escapes.

Second, the Twinbird unit says it draws 4 Amps at 12 VDC... 48 Watts. The M27 Engel unit (22 liters volume) draws a max of 2.3 Amps. The MT35 is a bit larger than the Coleman, 34 qt. vs 26 liter, and draws only 2.5 Amps. So, exactly how is the Coleman more efficient???

Even the MT60-combi unit (64 qt. interior volume) which has separate refrigerator and freezer sections has only a max draw of 3.6 amps, and gives you a lot more space.

Finally, IIRC, the Engel swing compressor system only has ONE moving part... not three, so should be even more reliable than the Coleman system.
yes the twinbird version uses helium, but the coleman uses carbion dioxide.

second yes the coleman uses max 48watts in maximum draw down (Max delta T 104'), however to maintain 32degrees with an ambient temp of 72degees it uses just 1.1amp.

if i had room for an MT60, i might a bought one. i am not on some 44' garden design, but an 29' islander.

your one moving part will wear out far before my three will. mine never touch anything.

most of this info i really had to dig to find, and the info posted is rather misleading.

here is a link over at cruisers forum:

Coleman Stirling Power Coolers - Page 2 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Port Of Everett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by rrgane; 04-20-2008 at 10:03 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook