SailNet Community - View Single Post - mainsail roach, battens, weather helm, and mast placement
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2008
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Quote:
1. Will replacing the battenless, roachless mainsail with a full-batten main with roach likely increase weather helm?
I think it will, but the difference will be quite slight. I think that you'll find the increased lift from the better sail shape will help the boat track more steadily.

Quote:
2. Are there any good reasons for having no battens and no roach on the mainsail of a cruising boat? None of the reasons I have heard seem very persuasive to me.
You mention that this is a "one off" cruising boat. It is possible that the sails were not made by a commercial loft, in the interests of economy. The only logical reason I can think of for no roach and no battens is to save money.

Quote:
3. Is a cutter-designed boat, with the mast positioned further aft, inevitably going to have some weather helm when sailed as a sloop.
If the foresail is too small (i.e. - if you are using one of the cutter headsails) - yes. You could probably balance it with a 130 (or larger) genoa.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook