SailNet Community - View Single Post - First Greek charter, looking for hints...
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2003

sailmaster25 is on a distinguished road
First Greek charter, looking for hints...

Hi Req...
With 2 weeks you have ample time to see alot of the greek islands. Stede was right watch out for the north wind it can blow up to 50+ knots.... I would suggest starting in the Saronic gulf first get to know you boat, it blows mild to gentle in the gulf and will enable you to easy into island sailing, check out Poros,Hydra and Spetsai, then make the jump across to the cyclades, its only 65 miles from Spetsai to Serifos and an early morning start will get you in around 4-5pm. Wings will be from the NW - N as you are heading east you should have a good beam reach. Once in the cyclades do the east west trick and zig zag around the islands, so even if you do get in a meltemi you will either be reaching or running. On santorini Stede is right its a great place but not for yachts men and a bare boat... I advise my clients to leave there yacht in Paros and take a ferry down to the islands stay overnight and come back. Paros has secure moorings in the NE corner of the harbor. See the New Zealander Alexis who runs the marina in the town of Pariitka, he will let you stay on one of his morrings and point you to other friends who can help you with inexpensive hotels inSantorini and ferry tickets.
Mykonos is fun but the harbor is miles from town, unfortunately the town is now the gay captial of the aegean and makes Key West look tame..
Othe islands to check out Naxos now has a brand new harbor safe and secure (finally)..
The islands south of Paros Ios Siknousa, dont miss out on Siphnos and Milos great places and often missed as they are some what off the beaten track.
Provisions ... no problem get a good basic supply in athens then buys as you go.
For other advice look at my open discussions on greek charter practices...

Good luck and hopefully we may see you down islands as I will be around look for a 55 foot ketch K3....

have fun and always practice safe sailing

sailmaster25
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook