SailNet Community - View Single Post - When does one become a Sailor vs. a person sailing?
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2003

bnoble is on a distinguished road
When does one become a Sailor vs. a person sailing?

As a new member of the sailing community, I’ve been told that my old 1988 23.5 Hunter is far too big for our 350 acre “pond”. That a “Real Sailor” wouldn’t consider putting up with the power boaters for the simple satisfaction of being able to tack fifty times to travel less then a mile down to the other end of the lake only to turn around and run back to the marina in fifteen minutes. But to me it’s an accomplishment. When I drove my powerboat I just pointed it in the direction I wanted to go and gave it some gas. Now I have to read the wind, plan my route, and unfortunately give way to jet skis and wake boarders with their blasting stereo systems. Last week I had the best time in my two month sailing carrier by trailering Miss Lisa to Gavens Point dam in South Dakota and sailing fifteen miles without having to change tack. What a thrill it must be to have BIG water to play on. But as my experience increases so will the size sailing area I feel comfortable on.

Happy sailing to all.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook