SailNet Community - View Single Post - mainsail roach, battens, weather helm, and mast placement
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2008

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
I believe that this may be a boat that I worked on while I was working with Charlie in the early 1980's. If so she was designed to have a mainsail with roach and battens. These boats were intentionally slightly under canvased because they were also slightly under-ballasted for their drag and need every inch of sail area that these boats can have.

Now to correct the misinformation above. Talk to almost any knowledgeable sailmaker, if you care even slightly about sail shape, going battenless with a hollow leech greatly shortens the life of a mainsail since it requires much higher leech loadings to avoid leech flutter, in fact the shortest of all sail batten options. Without battens in high winds you need to carry a very tight leech line to minimize leech flutter, and that tight leech induces more weather helm than the sail area in a properly shaped roach with long battens. Going to heavier sail cloth simply aggrevates the light air problems with battenless mainsails but does little for the bias loading with battenless mainsails.

A mainsail with full length battens has the longest lifespan of all of the three choices, followed by mainsails with full length head battens and extended but not full length lowers. As SD notes it is important to have sacrificial chafe patches where the battens hit the shrouds. (Mine lasts approximately 2,000 sailing hours and are quick and easy to replace using dacron stickiback.)

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff_H; 04-21-2008 at 08:07 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook