SailNet Community - View Single Post - Through-hull transducer?
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 04-21-2008 Thread Starter
flyingwelshman

Through-hull transducer?

At the end of last season it seemed as though my depth-sounder/fish-finder was pooched - strange lines running across the screen.

The thing is over 10 years old so I expect it needs replacing.

It is connected to an in-hull transducer.

I was hoping that I could just connect the new fish-finder / depth-sounder to the existing transducer to prevent having to screw around with holes in the hull.

Upon inspecting my hull I found a second, un-used transducer from a previous set-up.

Anyway I went to a local, well-respected, sporting goods place and asked about hooking up a new fish-finder to the old transducer.

The guy told me that it probably wasn't possible (as I kind of expected). I was looking at some transom-mounted transducers when the guy told me that Lowrance gives instructions for mounting these inside the hull. That the 200 khz models are powerful enough to act as a through-the-hull transducer.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

This would certainly make the placement better as I could mount the transducer at the bow (in front of my waste-water holding tank) instead of under the cockpit where is is now.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

1989 Hunter 30'
Southern Georgian Bay

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome