SailNet Community - View Single Post - Help me figure this out - planing upside down, or sailing a torpedo?
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2008
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardoin View Post
My girlfriend at the time used a technique where I would throw my body over the windward rail as she made the tack and then she would tighten the backstay and leave the jib up; "Screaming Reach" is a good name for it! But we seldom had big swells. I would usually scream as we would come close to flipping it. She said that pulling the backstay would pull the CE of the mainsail further back and keep the nose from diving.
That's a good idea! I guess it would - but only if you've got a backstay. Not all fractionals do..

Quote:
It was a move she learned in Mobile Bay. I could never pull it off, so when i was at the helm I just reefed the jib in the tack. It may have something to do with the difference in body weight (she was 95lbs and i was 160lbs).
Weight isn't it - actually the more weight the better - but to pull it off you've got to be quick on your feet. Many a time I wasn't fast enough and the bow ploughed in.. Lancer-style!

Quote:
Glad you found good use in my recommendations Lancer28! If you are brave, try one of the variations of a Xtreem Screaming Reach and see if that will work as well. Just be prepared, more than once our boat capsized and we were pulling the mask out of the mud.
LOL! I assume you meant "mast", but given the speed at which the boat will capsize if you stuff it up (approximately the same speed as the wind!), if you happened to be near a mud bank at the time you just might be referring to your face!!

Last edited by Classic30; 04-21-2008 at 09:42 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook