I'll defer to any local Newburyporters you may find, but my vote is to go out on the rising outgoing tide, timed to get over the bar before high tide. That way, if you ground, the tide's still rising. If you go in about 2 weeks, the tide will be at the half-moon, so not that strong, depending on the river outflow from rain. Sounds like a good time to try it. Plum Island partially shields the bar, so I wouldn't be too worried unless there's a strong Easterly, in which case wait til it passes.
I've been in and out of there a couple of times, long ago. My home port back then was Marblehead, where I grew up.
Last edited by nolatom; 04-23-2008 at 09:44 PM.