We all read about the potential dangers of gasoline and propane fumes detonating in our boat's bilges. But rarely do I hear reports of this happening, close to home.
Yesterday, a boat owner was rushed to the hospital with serious burns after "battery sparks" ignited bilge fumes in his '65 Columbia sailboat . . . ironically named Tranquility
, while on the hard. Those who are readying their boats for Spring launching, should take notice.
Man burned on boat when fumes ignite
April 24, 2008 6:00 AM
EAST DENNIS — A 39-year-old Provincetown man was flown to Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston with serious burns after an explosion aboard his dry-docked boat yesterday afternoon, officials said.
The burns were serious and affected the man's hands, face and chest, but they were not believed to be life threatening, Dennis firefighter Steven Hierholcer said.
Police declined to release the man's name until his family could be notified, the Dennis police said in a statement.
The man was prepping his 29-foot 1965 Columbia sailboat for the summer season at the Northside Marina at Sesuit Harbor when a blast occurred in the bilge area, the police said.
The man was apparently trying to empty or clean the bilge area when sparks from a battery ignited gas fumes from the bilge, the police said. The boat, named Tranquility, sustained minor damage.
The injured man was able to walk to the marina office to summon help. He was taken by ambulance to Barnstable Municipal Airport and flown to Boston for treatment of first- and second-degree burns, Hierholcer said.
Here's a direct link.