SailNet Community - View Single Post - What affordable "type" is best for longterm cruising?
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2003

Heruka is on a distinguished road
What affordable "type" is best for longterm cruising?

got to yachtworld.com and look up boats from 28-33 ft. and with a price range of $15k-$20k. the boats on yachtworld tend to be higher priced than they should be, but it will give you a good look at what''s out there.

I''ve met a retired couple who lived on an older 27'' Tartan. they were happy. headed north in the summer, south in the winter.

you can live on almost anything, as long as you''re willing to make lifestyle changes.

my fiance'' and I are getting ready to move aboard our Tartan 30. close quarters for two, but managable. we paid under $10k for the boat initially, but we''ll have far more than that invested when she''s done. but if you''re willing to look around, and make lifestyle decisions, it can easily be done. we''ll have no oven in our boat. our head/shower area is the size of a porta-potty, no hot water... and many other scrifics. but it''ll be an adventure. and we don''t expect to liveaboard forever.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook