SailNet Community - View Single Post - Please help me... re: live aboard
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2003

KainX is on a distinguished road
Please help me... re: live aboard

Wow! thanks for all the info, eventhough a lot of it may be demoralizing, but at least I am learning the truth. hopefully I will know what to expect a little more . I am going to pick up the book from anne hills, maybe I can get an idea of what i want to do from there...
What can you guys tell me about Barbados, my GF has family their, so at least that way we will have a "home base"... Our original plan was just to get a vise on the cayman islands or something and work and live there, but i figured it may be a little more interesting to live on a boat, that way if we don''t like the caymans, or any other island, we can just sail away... but ya, if we do go. We will be staying at LEAST a month at a place if we get a job... OR maybe we''ll luck out and get a decent part time job on the coast, and just take little trips on our days off... i have never been on the ocean before, so i am sure even the littlest things will amuse me at least for a while.

In comparison, would it be cheaper for us to buy and live on a $15k boat or would you guys reccommend just avoiding the troubles and paying expensive rent and living on land?

also, here is probably a silly question, but its one that I need to know. Can a houseboat with a reliable motor take me from island to island (eventhough i know they arent made for it) or is that dangerous? or just so unheard of that people would make fun of us?
does anyone know how much would it be for a house boat to say at dock per month roughly? is living on a houseboat cheaper than a sailboat?

Thank you guys again for all your help

and
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook