SailNet Community - View Single Post - Please help me... re: live aboard
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2003

Stede is on a distinguished road
Please help me... re: live aboard

KainX,

I''ll try to answer a couple of your questions. Maybe someone else can help you with the rest. I can''t help you on Barbados. I''ve never been there. I have cruised through a good portion of the Caribbean though. Everything is expensive.Most of the people that are native to the Caribbean islands live in shacks with tin roofs, while some rich people have very nice,expensive second homes there. It''s a disgusting balance. I don''t know what it would cost to live ashore there, but I''m sure it''s more than a rogue like me could afford. For someone of modest means, a boat is probably the best alternative. What kind of boat, depends on what you like, and what you intend to use it for. A houseboat would definately not be a good mode of transportation between islands. They aren''t designed to be taken into open seas. Some distances between islands are pretty long - 40+NM. On the other hand, I imagine if you could afford to keep one in a sheltered group of islands like the BVI, you could move one around from island to island pretty easy.As you can see,there are a lot of varibles involved in trying to answer your questions. I did meet a guy in Key West that had a 45 foot houseboat that he had lived on in the same marina for over 30 years. I don''t know if the engines even worked or not, but he was perfectly happy being where he was at. From his slip, he had a great view, a community of fellow boating friends, and for Key West, a relatively small expense for having his home there.I think he said he paid $700/month for his slip witch included utilities. I hope this is of some help to you.Good luck!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook