SailNet Community - View Single Post - A shark at Cape Lookout NC!!
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubec View Post
It was definitely a Sunfish. I found the following; "At first glance you might think it's a shark fin, but the shape and the characteristic back-and-forth sculling motion is quite different from the straight-line motion of the fin of a cruising shark." In this online book, referenced from Wikipedia.
I have seen ocean sunfish (Mola mola) on quite a few occasions too, but only in the ocean. My understanding was this video is from Pamlico Sound. But maybe I made a false assumption??

Was this video taken out in the ocean? It appeared to be in a protected/embayed anchorage.

Also, any time I've seen Mola mola they have sailed along smoothly just below the surface, with a steady, purposeful swimming pattern, making slow graceful turns. Rays on the other hand, will lurch, surge, turn, flop and make a lot of surface commotion, which is what I saw in the video.

But I am not ruling out the Sea Serpant yet...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook