SailNet Community - View Single Post - About To Do It Questions
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2003

Jack7 is on a distinguished road
About To Do It Questions

Hello All. This is my first visit to this forum and I''m coming up on my time to live full time on a boat in (New England & New York). I have just bought a 1982 Dufour 35 and am both excited and concerned about what she offers. The boat will spend virtually ALL of the late fall and winter at a dock with fresh water and shore power...this makes things easier, but here are some questions that I''m pondering:

Storage:
- I will continue to work at my consulting practice and will need a way to store business and ''other'' (casual) clothing. I am able to dedicate the V-berth to storage...anyone found a way to keep clothes dry, unwrinkled & odor-free?
- I am interested in seeing photos of what folks have done to create storage on their boats..items such as clothes, business files, computer printer, office supplies, food, etc. are screaming for a place to live.

Water - in and out ;>).

- The idea of filling the 70 gallon bladder (2 - 35''s) in the middle of an ice storm is not making me smile; has anyone found a way to continually replenish fresh water (mostly for showering) in cold climates. There will be a fresh water supply at the marina(s) I''ll be docked at...the obvious concern is one of the line freezing if exposed to the elements. Also,does anyone know of a fitting that transitions between a hose and the fitting on deck for water?
- Pump out. I have not been satisfied with the answers I''ve received from one of the marinas I''m planning to stay at re: how pumpouts are handled. If I had to guess, it sounds like their winter liveaboards are directly discharging and not using their holding tanks. This is unacceptable to me...any ideas about handling pump outs...are their chemical alternatives?

Heating:
- I am looking at 20 cents per kwh, so electric heating is out of the question. I have found a ''diesel fireplace'' at Defender which I imagine is a faux fireplace looking thingy that is used to heat the cabin space. I will be away on business up to 2 weeks at a time and need something reliable and, if possible, inexpensive to install. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Finally, any suggestion you might have would be most appreciated!

Be well,

Jack
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook