SailNet Community - View Single Post - Electric Propulsion - solidnav.com
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
That is a very NEW company. For the last three years I have pretty much been to every "e-power" website - this was not one of them. Re-e-power has been in the business the longest and even they have problems with keeping up, and the changes they have to make.

The one crucial thing to consider in any endeavor of this type is that they require huge battery capacity. No way any amount of solar unless your hull and deck is made of solar panels - do you get "free energy". The regen capabilities are only a small fraction of the total battery capacity to begin with.

Hence why Soloman, Volvo, and other hybrid sail drive manufactures bundle in generators otherwise you would be limited to 4-6 hours of engine time before needing to spend 12 or more hours recharging. Lets face it - rarely if you are cruising is it always under sail. Here in the PNW I spend more time motoring to get somewhere - unless its a daysail and I don't mind drifting around a bit.

If all you do is casual day sailing - maybe its all worth it as you are not doing anything extended in lines of point to point traveling. Otherwise - you have to look at the actual nature of what you can accomplish with one of these units. But I would say beware - there are no reviews and the company in question maybe just a fledgling company trying to make a start - but in the end you might want to know that for warranty issues etc they will be around awhile...

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook