SailNet Community - View Single Post - NC Locations
Thread: NC Locations
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2003

Stede is on a distinguished road
NC Locations

gamlwilson,

A few comments on Oriental...It''s a nice area to visit, but I don''t know that I would want to live there.The sailing around the area is very good, but unless it''s changed in the last few years, the water quality is pretty bad.When I trailered my boat down there a few years back,I went to a local fish processing house looking for some help to raise the mast.I noticed all the fish I saw were very small or had sores on them.Run off pollution entering the Pamlico Sound via the Neuse river has caused a multitude of problems.(Blinky the three eyed fish syndrome) You don''t hear anything about it now, but a few years back a marine orgainism was discovered that sounded some alarms. It seems this "thing" would lie on the seabed as some type of plant, and then would transform itself into a carnivore and attach itself to fish,sucking the life out of them. It was thought that the "thing" had caused some memory loss to some divers that it had attached to.Apparently after it was through with its host,it would drop off and fall back to the seabed and start the cycle over again.Now I know what you must be thinking by now...ole Stede is doing some serious drugs -- but I''m just telling you what I''ve seen, and have read.When I read about the orgainism in the Raleigh News and Observer, I thought the show X-Files had missed a good story.Hopefully,the situation with water quality on the Pamlico has improved, but I would be very leery of it until I saw some proof of it.Maybe someone that lives in that area could provide an update to water conditons there and rebuke my dissing it.I hope so, because it is a beautiful area.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook