SailNet Community - View Single Post - NC Locations
Thread: NC Locations
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2003

Stede is on a distinguished road
NC Locations

rleslie,

Thanks for sharing the article.It''s very interesting.You know,the public doesn''t usually hear about these problems unless they''re being used politically.All the while, the conditions worsen. When I was in Oriental, I was researching buying some waterfront property there. A the time, it could be had pretty inexpensively.I had this wild vision that Oriental was going to become the "Annapolis" of the South. When I found out what was going on there, I didn''t want to buy any property regardless of what the price was.Since that time, I''ve gotten more into what''s under the water,and in the water.I do some diving,and a lot of snorkling. I set up a saltwater tank in my home and starting fooling around with propagating corals.What it''s taught me is how fragile the sea systems are. If you''ve ever done any diving/snorkling in the Carbbean, you''ve undoubtedly seen grey dying coral.It''s caused by a multitude of problems.I''m concerned that the problem is bigger than what can be corrected. As a sailor,and adventurer, it''s my intention to explore as many of the ocean reefs in the world as possible -- as soon as possible.IMO, within the next 10-15 yrs,we will loose most of them. I suggest to any fellow sailors that care about this stuff to do the same. As Forrest Gump would say,"That''s all I have to say about that..."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook