SailNet Community - View Single Post - Steel Sailboat Maintenance
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
I can't add anything here that hasn't already been said. The price paid with steel is eternal vigilance. The payoff is when you kedge off that uncharted coral reef with only some time with a rubber mallet and yet more paint in the next boat yard down the line.

We haven't seen salt in our steel cruiser, but I suspect I will find some interesting things behind the water tanks that are coming out, to judge by the interesting things we've found under the headliner and insulation in the aft cabin. It's not much, but it's been there for years and will require the requisite grind 'n' prime and two-part shuffle.

But I will say again what I've posted before: When idiots do this to your steel boat:

and the only damage is this:

...you'll be happy to do all that painting. Steel can save you from a long trip in a small raft in a way that 90% of most fibreglass or wooden boats simply can't...although the Tayana 45 beside me in the yard this winter looked like the most brutally overbuilt 18-tonne chunk of plastic I'd ever seen up close.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook