SailNet Community - View Single Post - Buying boat from the distance via Broker + paperwork/ownership procedure
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2008

ichorniy is on a distinguished road
Buying boat from the distance via Broker + paperwork/ownership procedure

After looking at the boat in Ohio I made an offer to purchase the boat via email. Broker responded with counter offer from the owner and agreement was made. That was 2 weeks ago. I was expecting Broker to follow up with paperwork right after we make a deal to put it in writing and secure the sale. I was following up with him but was getting responses that paper work will follow shortly. Two weeks later I get the call form the broker that seller has signed the paper and I will get fax shortly to sign the agreement. He also mentioned that he will need power of attorney or something to transfer the ownership/title of the boat. This is my second boat but something seems not right here.

1. Usually broker would send you the agreement so buyer can sign it and will follow up with signature of the seller. Initially you would go back and forth so all the details are captured.
2. Broker will try to do it right away to secure the deal in writing
3. Owner signed agreement I didnít see. What if one of my conditions is missing? We will need to rewrite it againÖ
4. You donít need power of attorney to transfer the ownership/title. Why would he even ask for it?

I have survey scheduled for May 9. I didnít put any deposit yet because I donít have any deal in writing. If I donít have written agreement I was afraid that my deposit becomes a giftÖ

Now I am starting to second guess the dealÖ donít know if broker just take his time or something fishy is going on. Any advice/feedback would be much appreciated.

What is procedure to transfer title of the boat in Ohio?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook