SailNet Community - View Single Post - Crossing the Atlantic in a C&C 34?
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2003

SaraN is on a distinguished road
Crossing the Atlantic in a C&C 34?

Hi all!
Me and my husband are currently looking for a boat to take us from Sweden to the Caribbean and back.

We''ve been looking at various boats in the range 45.000-70.000 USD. We would like to stay closer to the lower end of that scale of course... :-)

Lots of boats available in Sweden are Swedish (Hallberg-Rassy, Najad are the most well-known) or European (Benetau, Bavaria, etc).

Right now the leading candidate is a Canadian made C&C 34 from 1980. This is a fairly unknown boat in Sweden, so we would like to gather more information and opinions about it.

Searching the Internet, other models from C&C than the 34 are mentioned a lot more. Also, a lot more information is around about the newer type of the 34 (after 1986 I believe).

We like the C&C 34 and get the impression it is well-built, but would like to get more opinions.

My questions are:
- What is the general opinion about the quality of the C&C 1980 models, particularly the 34. Any serious problems known?
- I have a fear that these boats are primarily built for coastal (or lake) cruising/racing. Does this mean the C&C 34 lack capabilities for long-distance sailing in your opinion?

Thanks.

Best regards,
Sara
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook