SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boatyard Discussion
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2008

TomandKarens34 is on a distinguished road
Amen Larry!!!! Please forgive me for joining you in your rant.... I'm thinking you guys never read the Dilbert comics in the paper? Any boat yard is set up first to make money. They're not set up to make Larry rich and they're not set up to fix boats. The bean counters set the system up and they're the folks who say if the yard remains open or that everybody goes home. This business is hugely capital intensive. Taxes are crazy, EPA requirements are crazy, not to mention OSHA. I saw the equal access bathroom regulations once. 400 pages! Jeesum. I don't even want to think about the permitting process for dock repairs (cause you can't just go down and fix 'em) and the cost of building maintenance up here in the northeast. You have to pay all that before Larry even sees your boat..... You can get that ideal quality of repair work done, but it costs a lot more than $85/hr. There is a reason 90% of us here are do-it-yourself'ers, and we should be. Up here in the northeast, if you bob around in the water for an hour, even in the summer, it means death. You are the Captain. YOU and nobody else.. any explanation you can think of will not be accepted once you're in the drink. Know your boat and if it isn't right, do it over until it is. God bless you Larry and thank you for the hard work you do.