SailNet Community - View Single Post - How long will a fiberglass boat last
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2008
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
I have a slightly larger and slightly older boat. She has her issues, but I certainly think fiberglass is not one of them. As a sign of my confidence, I keep upgrading her and spending money on stuff, and I certainly hope to keep sailing her as long as possible.

Time will tell, of course, but I am guessing you have at least one more year Mine is 1972.

A year or so ago at a marina I used to stay owner had a number of old abandoned sailboats reposessed and disposed of. May be 3 or 4 old hulls, in 23-29 foot range, all looked like they were build in 70s. They were certainly neglected for many years and all their equipment was thoroughly rusted, rotten etc. They were piled up on shore and workers with chainsaws started cutting them into pieces (if you want to see the saddest sight of all, that is it). Anyway, I noted the amount of effort that went into cutting these boats apart. Once the job was done, I went and inspected the cuts of fiberglass and the pieces. I can say one thing - across the cut fiberglass on these boats looked nice, green, dense and most certainly had shown no signs of weakness. Cutting it apart was clearly a tough job. And this was universally applicable to these few boats of different makes and models. So, in my personal (completely unprofessional and unqualified ) opinion - fiberglass isn't what destroys boats. It would appear to be the last thing to go.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook