SailNet Community - View Single Post - Crossing the Atlantic in a C&C 34?
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2003

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Crossing the Atlantic in a C&C 34?

By the early 1980''s C&C''s were reasonably high quality performance oriented cruisers. They were very good boats for thier purpose which was coastal cruising and club racing. I would not think that they would make a very good offshore cruiser. I would think of them as being the equivilent of a Dehler Optima 101 or the Sigma 34 which were also well made coastal cruisers and club level racers but not my idea of an good choice for an offshore boat.

While I am a proponent of light weight crusing boats for offshore work, I think that three are a number of shortfalls to these particular boats in terms of layout, lack of seaberths, storage (especially low in the boat where it counts), useable ventilation, tankage, ground tackle handling gear, and motion comfort. These boats were heavily influenced by the IOR rule and so are a little light on stability (counting on crew weight on the rail), and can be a real bear down wind in a breeze.

While I basically like these boats for their original design intent, I really think that there are better choices out there for transatlantic work.

Respectfully,
Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook