SailNet Community - View Single Post - About To Do It Questions
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2003

eryka32 is on a distinguished road
About To Do It Questions

I liveaboard year-round in Washington DC area. I would have said, not as cold as NY, until last winter. EEK!

A couple of thoughts for you: condensation is the #1 enemy. Line lockers with styrofoam or bubblewrap. Keep doors open to allow air to circulate if you don''t have louvered or caned doors. If your mast is keel-stepped, wrap it in rope or carpet; it''s quite a heat sink. Still, everything (*everything!*) is best stored in ziploc bags. We plastic over to shed snow, but the plastic is open at the bottom to allow some air circulation.

Clothing: most of the liveaboards I know keep their work clothes hanging in the car. Our 33-foot boat, at least, doesn''t provide enough storage for a complete wardrobe to remain unrumpled. Leather shoes, in particular, don''t fare well in lockers, they grow mold fast. Storing at least some of your wardrobe in the car would also allow you to use the V-berth for your ''office'' instead of your garage.

I keep a laptop on the boat, but my printer and fullsize PC is at my office. On days I work at home I email stuff to myself to print out. We store files in plastic lidded fileboxes (about $10 at office max), and all but the most current are offsite in a storage locker (or the trunk of your car).

Water -- I don''t understand your concern; you probably only have to fill the tank about once a month. In my experience, with moderate conservation you use 2-3 gallons per person, per day, for cooking, showering, doing dishes, drinking. 5 gal/day is luxury. I''d keep it simple and check the water level every week or two so you can schedule your fill-up when the weather is realtively good.

Heat: West Marine (and probably others) sells a small ceramic heater with a freeze-safe setting for <$50; it comes on full blast automatically when the temp gets down to about 35 degrees indoors. This might serve you well as a backup when you''re traveling, unless you have a good neighbor you can trust to check up on your boat while you''re gone. Check your insurance too; some don''t cover freezing/ice damage.

Winter sanitation if you want to be environmentally sensitive (not for the squeamish) involves a bucket and a plastic bag. Liquids go in the bucket, sterilize with Simple Green, Clorox, Basic G or equivalent before pitching overboard. Solids go in the bag, de-stink and sterilizse them with a sprinkle of powdered bleach before disposing in a dumpster. At least, that''s how we''ve done it.

Welcome aboard, and good luck
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook