The boat went thru the general and the rigging survey this week and so far there are no major issues. There is only the sea trial and the engine survey to complete. So I will reveal the boat I am purchasing as the Holby Clearwater 35. You can find the boat still on Yachtworld if you search under sailboats for the manufacturer Holby, there are only 3 boats listed. These pictures are from YW but I assure you they match the pictures I took while on the boat.
The only difference is the boat is on the hard, in a shed, so I could not show the full boat in one of my shots. With these surveys done, the boat should go in the water the end of this week.
The general survey went very well and took about 3 and a half hours. About the first hour was spent with the surveyor alternating between striking a nylon hammer and reading his moisture meter all around the hull and then on the deck. He covered the entire surface(s) at varying spacings, concentrating in some areas. He was listening and looking for differences, mostly. At one point he stopped and indicated that this area of the hull was showing elevated moisture, but I was able to identify that as the location of the water tanks. As the boat was up on jack stands and we had to climb a ladder to get into it, he had not been on the boat and did not know their location.
As I mentioned in one of my initial posts (about a year and half ago) when I was just starting to look for a boat, I need a boat with a shallow draft for the creek we are on in NC. This boat qualifies as it has a true swing keel that raises almost entirely into the cabin. With the keel up the boat only draw 1' 10"! (Note: the rudder also kicks up). I did not need this shallow of a draft, but this boat is in such good condition that it was very hard to pass it up.
The negotiations for purchase also went well. The boat has been on the market for a year (or more) and I was able to get it at a significant discount. I possibly could have done even better, but I established what I felt the boat was worth (to me) and was able to better that by a little. Needless to say I will spend the money on some upgrades anyway. Most notably will be for an autopilot and a chartplotter. While the current instruments are fairly new (2006) they do not include these items. So I will be looking for a combination of the two that talk to each other and include a GPS. I probably will want the ability to overlay radar at some future date.
My plans are to move the boat from CT to NC this summer, so I am also looking for advice on such a trip. The cost of trucking the boat to NC is around $2k, but I think the trip should be fun and a good learning experience. I have been searching the forums for ICW and Heading south threads, but most of those start at VA. Any pointers to the best books and threads for advice are welcome.
I really do feel that I could not have made my way through the decision process without the advice I have found in the sailnet forums, so I want to thank all who contribute their expertise and experience again.