SailNet Community - View Single Post - New crush -- Ensenada 20
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2008

Simon123 is on a distinguished road
I realize this is an old thread but I think it makes more sense in this case to keep the information about a relatively unknown boat in one place. I have one of these that I sail in the lakes around Dallas, when I finish my degree I am planning to take 6 mo's to year off and sail from Houston, with the intention of making it to the Bahamas but not out of the Carribean. I'm going to single hand and plan to do more of a coastal style, short passages trip. The relatively short duration overall means that I don't need much in the way of amenities, unlike what would be needed if a boat was supposed to be a long term home. My question is simply, am I completely out of my mind considering this boat for this trip? In it's favor, I own it already which means I don't have to spend half my budget on a boat, I'll be completely comfortable with it having sailed it for years. It's pretty stable though slow (I've already modified it to have a locking keel) and it's shallow draft (about 12 inches with the board up) would be convenient in the islands. Assuming that I will have the time to be careful about my weather windows and don't mind living on a 20 footer for that amount of time, is this boat unreasonable? If so, why?

Thanks
Simon
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook