SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dingy on davits
Thread: Dingy on davits
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2003

mcain is on a distinguished road
Dingy on davits

Another opinion. I have davits and a 10'' RIB with 15 HP motor on them. 43'' boat. In the past, I have towed dingy''s and hoisted them on deck and used davits.
Our purpose is to cruise extensively in the Caribbean, Bahamas and Keys, as well as east coast of US. We have cruised on and off (not continuously) for about 4 years with the davits. We also have a dingy cover.
Towing has a couple of disadvantages. The tow line needs to be very carefully adjusted in a following sea to avoid excess pressure or the dingy slewing around. I have lost a towed dingy due to chafe, as many others have. And there is drag that can greatly show down a boat in light air.
In addition, for security, keeping a dingy in the water overnight is bad in many ports. Hoisting it on deck is a lot of work. Davits make it much easier.

On passages in open water, davits can be a problem and the dingy should be on deck. Large following seas or even beam seas can hit the dingy. However, in many Caribbean passages, of less than a day in settled weather, it is less of a problem. A friend just did 4 years in the Caribbean and took the dingy off davits and onto the deck just once--at the start of the trip in the gulf stream.
I like davits. However, you pays your money and takes your choice.........
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook