SailNet Community - View Single Post - My experience
Thread: My experience
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2008
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
The only other hull you will want is a tender.

Unless it comes with one (this in response to Chuckles' humorous remark).
It looks and sounds like a wonderful boat. The only question I have (searched but could not find the answer) is how much draft you have with the centerboard down?
Speaking of tender, I wonder how much sail you can actually 'wear' with the C/B all the way up? Also related is how much the C/B weighs; righting moments etc. My ancient Tartan 27' has a C/B with a nominal draft of 3'6", maximal 6' and can be sailed with the board all the way up with plenty of leeway (a lot less leeway with the board down). I also find that motoring my boat with the board down gives much improved steering ability (as an engineer you will understand this better than I). These are performance issues that you have not doubt already thought of but will want to consider during your sea trial. I trust it will go well.
If you wanted a crew for part of the delivery to NC, I may be able to help get you south of NYC (timing being everything of course).
Good luck.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook