SailNet Community - View Single Post - My experience
Thread: My experience
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2008

CapnRon47 is on a distinguished road
My boat buying experience

CalebD,
All good questions and I only have second hand answers at this point for some of them. With the keel down the draft is close to 6'. The keel is lead and weighs close to 4,000 lbs. Here is a picture from inside the cabin partition showing the lifting lines.

There is also a hydraulic cylinder, attached to these lines, that prevents the keel from just dropping too quickly.

This is some heafty engineering only matched by the lifting rudder which is also lead and adjusts from 3'6" down to the shallow draft of 1'10" when up.
The prop has its own skeg

and this helps in steering the boat when motoring and the keel is in the up position. With the keel up I assume there will be lots of lee way, but the mass of the keel is still pretty low in the boat and acts like ballast, so I have been told that it is not really tender (healing) at all.

The sea trial should prove most interesting and is coming up next week. I did contact both the original owner, who had her designed and sailed her extensively, as well as the builder about these very issues and the responses I received where that they both wished they still had this boat! Note: there where only 7 of these boats made from the late 1980's to early 90's. This one is number 5. One of the earlier 'Clearwaters' has circumnavigated the globe. They took 7 years to do it, must have been one great trip.

I will keep you in mind when I am considering making my trip. Do you have experience through Hell's gate down to Jersey?

Stillraining,
(I have been reading this forum for over a year and I still cannot recall what people use for standard abbreviations for their handles),
Thanks, my intention is to sail her, but I thought people might be interested in knowing the cost of trucking a boat this size 500 miles. It was less than I thought given the cost of diesel.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook