SailNet Community - View Single Post - Got religon...but a Hunter??
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2003

928frenzy is on a distinguished road
Got religon...but a Hunter??

We have a 1983 Hunter 34, and it''s just fine for coastal cruising. We wouldn''t go offshore with it for an extended time, but with good weather windows we might consider going to the Bahamas from the Chesapeake.

As with any 20 year-old boat, things need to be repaired or replaced. So far, I''ve replaced two windows and I''ll probably replace a few more this winter. Also, at least one thru-hull pet-**** will likely need to be serviced. I''ve fixed the windex, and the speed indicator and the depth sounder are next. I''ve also upgraded the VHF radio, and installed a new mast antenna for it. Earlier this year I replaced all the running rigging, and a two fiddle-blocks.

As you can see, older boats require more TLC. Howver, aside from the items mentioned, the boat has been reliable and fun to sail. We don''t know if it''ll hold its value when it''s selling time, but we didn''t pay that much for it to begin with, so it really doesn''t matter much to us. I suspect most 20 year old boats have pretty much leveled off near the bottom of the depreciation curve. However, a 10 year old boat may still be on the steep part of the decline curve. :^(

~ Happy sails to you ~ _/) ~
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook