SailNet Community - View Single Post - BVI trip report 8-18 Jul 03 (long)
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2003

VIEXILE is on a distinguished road
BVI trip report 8-18 Jul 03 (long)

It doesn''t make sense that we often try to clear in (I won''t say where) in the BVI and the person on the other side of the glass, at 11:45 AM, ignores us, finally telling us "come back at 3:00" after lunch. Some of them are great, but we know whose who. So we fill out the paperwork, get everything ready, carry the papers on the boat and hope we don''t get checked. Fees tend to vary widely from boat to boat, day to day, etc. I''ve paid as little as $16 and as much as $60 to clear in. I know, I know, overtime charges, etc. It''s the cheaper amount if they know you''re local and recognize you. The fishing license matter, though, is a game. There are people that want to capture the "world record" charter boat business to base in the BVI and want it KNOWN that record fish are caught in "BVI waters" which extend 200 miles offshore except where the demarcation lines are between the islands. The only "fishing license" I ever got in the BVI was for this past Anegada tournament, and someone met us AFTER we fished and issued a license at the Reef Hotel - fairly cheap. Try to get one otherwise. The current quote for a fishing boat annually is "in the thousands," but nobody can specify where to get it, how to get it or who to get it from. Hence, we stay out of BVI waters. However, BVI pot fishermen fish USVI waters and are NEVER bothered. There''s more to it, and I think it has something to do with some stateside sportfishing bigwigs doing ESPN tournaments in the BVI vs. the USVI, but that''s speculation and a whole ''nutha ting, mon. Again, it''s the islands.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook