SailNet Community - View Single Post - Battery Bank Cable Sizing
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveEv View Post
Thanks for the inputs - I tend to agree that bigger is better... to a certain limit. I still like to use some some sort of a formula, even if it is only a starting point, to know what my theoretical needs are. I come up with the same numbers as Brak for #6 handling 100 amps, which should already be overkill. By then stepping up to #2 from #6, I would be oversizing by another factor of three. I just don't see how another several steps up to 1/0 or 2/0 would make any further difference. (But I'll be driving through Portland this afternoon and if halekai36 spent $130 on everything I may be sold - that sounds like a great price no matter what the gauge for every cable and lug in the bank and to the starter and back!)

Don't forget you'll need your own battery lug crimper or Dave will make them on the spot if you have your measurements. Knowing your lug sizes (bolt hole diameter) ahead of time also helps..

He's also the best price I've found anywhere on heat shrink terminals 10-22 ga.

Dave at Battery World
(207) 797-7764
148 Walton St.
Portland, ME

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook