SailNet Community - View Single Post - Main VHF Preference?
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
I'm afraid of that... in fact I believe it to be the likely cause. I still want a new radio because the old one isn't shiny.
Man, I wish I could afford to replace old stuff and get new stuff just for the shininess factor .

Quote:
I figured that since I want a new radio, it makes sense to buy it first, plug it in and if it doesn't work, then it's the antenna for sure.
Modern radios should be relatively immune to antenna system opens and shorts, but still: This is not the way I recommend troubleshooting your system.

Quote:
Is there any other way I should be testing my antennas?
You can put a meter across the coax connector for a gross pass/fail check. It should measure a relatively low DC resistance--on the order of a few ohms or so. If it measures 0: There's a dead short. If it measures infinite: It's open. (Obviously it should measure infinite if the coax is disconnected at the far end.)

Quote:
As for features and such, I've never used the direct DSC calling features.
I guess you can do lots of things with DSC., but we want it primarily for the interface with the GPS so we can utilize the MOB/distress feature.

Tho it would be kinda cool to be in a cruising flotilla and be able to see the positions of the other boats in your fleet .

Jim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook