SailNet Community - View Single Post - How tight is too tight?
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by erps View Post
Scott,
Is that slack, like just barely starting to wiggle. I sailed on one guy's boat and his leeward shrouds flopped around considerably. On my previous two boats, I would back off on leeward until they flopped and then took up the slack so they just stopped then made sure the stick was straight. I haven't messed with this boat yet.
Ray...Yes ...not floppy slack but you should be able to easy tell the differance by pulling on the shrouds form windward to leeward that they are slacker...if not the Windward shrouds not only have to battle the pressures of the winds forces but also undo strain imparted by the leeward shrouds....So not sloppy loose but noticeably looser than at the dock that you pretensioned by your loos gauge...Your way sound good...

This does require several tacks to get right and should be rechecked a time or two if recently stepped or new standing rigging has been installed..

Last edited by Stillraining; 05-06-2008 at 11:02 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook