SailNet Community - View Single Post - How tight is too tight?
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightgry View Post
Guess I missed the boat in wording my question. What I meant to ask was can you split a hull by too much tension? Can you tension a line with the buckles more than a full sail will? In the past I was worried that maybe the rig might come down if there was too much stress on the lines, but never that the hull could split. On my boat the chainplates are considerably smaller than what the hull joint is and should give first in a contest. The Tartan chainplates must be the strongest point in the whole boat.
I am not an engineer, but when I heard the company response that the rigging was too tight I had questions. Is it actually possible to pull the hull joint apart without the rigging or chainplates themselves failing first, or is the hull joint that weak in a normal boat.
It is conceivable to do all kinds of dammage to a boat depending on configuration with to much tension....Remember this is cable pulling fiberglass...It is there for a pourpus to hold the mast straight against opposing forces....any more needed to do the job is overkill...Racers push thease limits for sail shape and performance...we need not...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook