SailNet Community - View Single Post - soverel 39
Thread: soverel 39
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2003

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
soverel 39

There were two very different Soverel 39''s. The first was a keel centerboard boat designed by the Senior Soverel and the second was designed by the son, the late Mark Soverel. I am assuming that you are looking at the newer Soverel 39 that was designed by Mark. Mark was a brilliant designer of high performance boats. He really had a flair for designing easily driven hulls that performed well in a wide range of conditions. He was not the best engineer and so some of his boats were a little fragile.

The Soverel 39 was one of the better late IOR era raceboats. Locura, which was the prototype, is for sale in Annapolis now called ''Avalon''. As Locura she was a very potent race boat in her era I believe winning her class in the SORC when the SORC was one of the top racing venues world wide. (I had considered purchasing Avalon when I was looking to buy my boat perhaps 2 1/2 years ago and had gone through her extremely carefully and had even designed an interior layout for her.)

The tooling for the Soverel 39 was bought by Tarten and Tartan produced a production version of the boat. The production version was heavier, and less competitive but offered a nice workable interior with more headroom than the original prototype. (Mark was a tall man so I have never understood why his boats tended to have so little head room.) These were reasonably well constructed and were good all around boats. One short coming of the design is the IOR flat at the bow that makes them pound when going upwind in a short chop.

They do seem to be pretty hard to resell and I found that they stayed on the market a very long time and that they could be bought pretty cheaply. I had come close to closing on the prototype for somewhere in the mid $20K range and on a Tartan built version in very good condition in the high $30K range.

Good luck,
Jeff

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook