SailNet Community - View Single Post - Catalina 270?
Thread: Catalina 270?
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2003

jbarros is on a distinguished road
Catalina 270?

I''m also open to boats that arent of the big three, but damn it man, I want to be able to shower below decks. If I''m not in the big 3 variety, that leaves me very little in the way of boats I feel comfortable handling by myself (at or under 30 feet) and can afford, and dont have to spend the next 20 years fixing up instead of sailing.

On my most recient trip out, I broke a spreader, and got to come in in the most windy conditions I''ve ever been in, with a reafed main, in the dark, on a broken boat.

I got in safe, and when I awoke a boat show was going on. It was then that I decided I wanted a NEW boat. Of course, it doesnt have to be new, but "not in constant need of repair of some CRITICAL part" would be realy nice.

The 31.7, and 33.7 are both REALY nice, and much more like exactly what I want. They''re both also at or around 100 large USED. A new 270, fully outfited, with sails, engine, electrics, WARRENTY, and the whole deal would be 56 large out the door for me.

Other suggestions, maybe outside the big 3? Is financing an older boat as easy as financing new? If I''m cashing out, I''m looking at under 10 grand (Triton, etc) If I''m financing, I''d still like to keep it at or under 50k.

I''ve found a few decent Cape Dory 25D''s, which apear to do everything I need, but from the design apear to be dog slow.

Tartan 30''s, which I''ve heard have a shower, but havent seen this, also, with the starboard galley, which I find preferable to the aft gallies on so many older boats, and seem to do everythign I need, even if the asthetics are completley uninspiring.

I''ve not seen either of these boats, so if someone who does know about them would care to correct me, thats fine.

But with both of these boats, I am getting into something at least a few decades old AND financing it. (Ballpark on both seems to be a little over 20k) I absolutley hate having payments on broken things.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

-- James
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook