SailNet Community - View Single Post - 6 year plan over 15 years
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2008

CaribbeanDreamer is on a distinguished road
Nice feedback, and I have to agree with everything said. My dreams are in technicolor, but I always remember a poster I saw my first day of school back 40 years ago of a little ant next to a big piece of cake, and the caption "You'll never know how much you can eat until you bite off more than you can chew".

To Sail Hog and Mr. Pollard, while I admit that the full realization is a log way off, I am hoping that the voyage there is as much fun as the destination. 10 years or so could find me crippled, or dead, or living in Arizona with no water in sight... However the way I see it, the 10 years of learning is also very pleasant. I get to have a place to go on nice summer days, Sail Boston harbor, get used to the waves, and everything else. Maybe I'll hate it. I remember as a kid the saying that the two greatest days in a boatsmans life is the day he buys it, and the day he sells it. Who knows...

I guess I just need direction for now... I have a little Fiat X1/9 project car that I put up for trade to see if I can get my first boat on the cheap, and within hours got a reply from a guy in the cape who has a Classic 19 Bristol. Maybe it is a good jumping in point since I can trailer it and launch it about 4 blocks from my house at the public landing when I want to go out on the water for the first little while.

So from here, if anyone has any direction for me to point myself in, places I should go for info, things I should do or plan to do over the next X years (I like the idea of crewing with some experienced folks to see what it's like on a longer trip).

Anyway, glad I found this place and I take everything said to me on this very seriously. I have a goal, but part of that goal is the act of traveling to it.

Randy
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook