SailNet Community - View Single Post - Catalina 270?
Thread: Catalina 270?
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2003

mcain is on a distinguished road
Catalina 270?

Some years ago, I owned and sailed a Yankee 30 offshore. This is not a particularly well known boat, since most are on the west coast. However, it is 30'' long, 9'' beam, I believe 5'' draft, built in early 70''s, moderately long keel, separated rudder with skeg, tiller. Very strong boat offshore. Sails very very well. Points well, good speed to windward in waves, good stability in waves downwind with the skeg. S&S design. Similar to the Tartan 30, but 1'' narrower in beam. Many of the other characteristics match what your desires are. I took it out in very heavy weather from Annapolis to Bermuda (among other trips) and it was a very capable boat. I had a Navik wind vane and it steered very well with that configuration. The shower is probably a case of putting a curtain around the entire head, but the head was decent size. The galley is more "L" or "U" shaped, but very functional with gimbled stove/oven. Lots of storage. I single handed it often--most control lines on my boat were run to the cockpit, but this was probably not standard on the stock boat.
THere is a web site dedicated to this model, and other older postings on this board on the Yankee 30--check out the history.
If you got one in good shape, that had been taken care of, it would be pretty inexpensive and a decent platform for upgrading.
I know less about the Tartan 30, but would look at that also.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook