SailNet Community - View Single Post - Gift Boat--Worth it?
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2003

Tikimama is on a distinguished road
Gift Boat--Worth it?

I (and my husband) have recently become intrigued with the idea of cruising. I''ve gotten some great advice here, which I plan to follow--take lessons, crew, try short trips, read, etc. However, I am in a unique situation when it comes to acquiring a boat.

My brother (a commercial fisherman for many years in Alaska and all around boat guy) has offered to give me his 27'' sailboat if I retrieve it from (dry) storage in Homer, AK. (His offer probably doesn''t reflect badly on the boat--he''s off in Nicaragua and can''t be bothered to retrieve the boat or pay the $600 storage fee-it''s sort of his m.o.).

I have nearly no details on the boat itself, other than it''s seaworthy (which for my brother probably means it needs at least cosmetic work and no doubt an equipment upgrade). My mother has been aboard and only says it seems safe, but is small.

Does anyone know the ballpark cost to have it transported from Alaska here to the San Francisco Bay Area? Is there a ''best'' way to get it down here?

Is this deal even worth it? I expect to put a considerable amount of money into the boat (as well as actually acquire the skills I need to sail it!) before taking off. I''m just wondering if the money I''d save on buying a boat makes whatever repairs I would have to make worth it. My brother is a mechanic, so I expect everything is in good working order, but he''s somewhat cavalier about things like comfort.

I''m not sure what else to ask advice about, but any other tips would be appreciated!

Thanks Heather
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook