SailNet Community - View Single Post - Excalibur 26
Thread: Excalibur 26
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2008

tweitz is on a distinguished road
Seeing your pictures brings back old memories. The upside of the well was that the outboard was very conveniently at hand and, because it was closer to midships, it did not come out of the water in rough seas. The downside was that it was not able to be turned for maneuverability, it would sometimes crap out from the exhaust gases, and the propeller and well opening made for a very unsmooth water flow, especially under sail. Our boat had an insert whcih fit into the well and provided a very fair covering for the opeining of the well when the engine was removed. There was a small board on the forward side of the well to mount the outboard. We eventually put it on the transom as well, so that we could get the maneuverability and kick it up when under sail. We used a spring loaded bracket to lift the long shaft clear of the water. Like most boating decisions, this was a compromise -- the controls were very hard to reach when using the outboard, and I discovered that it often came out of the water in rough seas as the boat rocked fore and aft. I guess the two alternatives each had shortcomings, and I have since joined the diesel inboard fraternity.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook