SailNet Community - View Single Post - Crazy?
Thread: Crazy?
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2003

Stede is on a distinguished road
Crazy?

Epiphany,

Crazy?? Ha!Ha!Ha!... Welcome aboard! Sailors are a different lot. Always have been,and always will be.I think basically, you have a good plan.If I may, I''ll make a few suggestions. As far as schools, take a basic sailing course and then a bareboat charter certification.Those two will give you a good back ground in the skills you''ll need to do what you want to do. Next if possible,purchase a small boat(something cheap that you can sell later)to practice using those skills on as a single-handed sailor.Crewing on others boats is very helpful, but to sail single handed requires some "hands on" experience that you need to hone up on as fast as possible.In my mind, your preference of a 43 footer to single-hand is questionable. I sail my 26 footer most of the time single-handed.I''ve also sailed 38 footers single handed. There are some major differences in the physical requirements of handling larger sails,docking,etc.I know there are sailors out there that sail larger boats,and my hat''s off to them. IMO,I wouldn''t go with anything larger than 38ft with something smaller being preferrable.But hey, that''s just me.Lastly,try to define your cruising area as finite as you can.That definition will determine the type of boat you really need. I''ve sailed a good portion of the eastern United States coastline, the Bahamas,and the Caribbean,and I''ve still only seen a small portion of those areas.A sailor could spend a life time just cruising those areas.When I go cruising full time, I''ll purchase a boat capable of crossing oceans,but will probably use it for the areas mentioned above. Good luck in your quest!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook