SailNet Community - View Single Post - C27 marine air conditioing - has this been done?
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2008

Triquetra is on a distinguished road
Some of the marine AC units are quite heavy also (mine's about 75 lbs), but they do not protrude on deck. I had a Mermaid AC unit installed in my Corsair 36, and found that I needed the 19K btu unit, because the 14K was too small for my boat AND the way needed to be ducted. The unit I installed was a dual phase unit, meaning it has heat pump capability as well as AC. My unit is in the compartment with my batteries. Since it requires inlet and outlet through-hull fittings and it generates water (condensation), you may have a difficult time assessing where any "water" is coming from if it is near your holding tank. I actually have a venturi circuit that sips the condensate out with the outgoing AC water, but it puts a restriction on the flow, so the pump has to have sufficient throughput to utilize this. And, yes, it will probably make the rest of your boat aromatic. You might be able to make an isolated inlet ducting circuit that prevents the air from the V-berth from being used by the AC though.

Another consideration is when I clean my inlet water trap I cannot avoid spillage, particularly since the person who installed my unit put the water outlet just below the waterline and did not install a shut-off valve (since corrected). When I get a spill or a leak I have a path to my central bilge pump from my AC location, which you may not have in your V-berth.

I also took apart my AC control box and increased the delay from virtually no delay to about 1 min between starting the pump and the compressor. This minimizes the power surge of the AC and now, I can use my Honda 2000i generator to run my AC/heat while on the hook.

I hope that this information helps you.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook